The world-renowned Bialetti Moka Pot. Invented in Italy in 1933, the Moka pot quickly replaced the more traditional methods of preparing coffee (essentially, like Turkish coffee). Over the past 88 years, it has proved itself as a reliable, easy-to-use, and affordable device that gives you a unique full-bodied espresso at home. Until today the Moka Pot remains a staple of the Italian coffee culture and in many ways is the symbol of coffee in Italy.
Through the Moka Express Oceana, Bialetti has committed to Oceana – an international organisation dedicated to the protection of oceanic ecosystems. It aims to shed light on the issue of plastic waste at sea and how this endangers sea life. The Moka Express is 100% eco-sustainable and does not produce any waste that is not 100% biodegradable. It is the most environmentally friendly way of making espresso.
The Moka Express Oceana is available in three different sizes:
3 cups (produces up to around 125ml – essentially two decent espressos) – Perfect for the individual.
6 cups (produces up to around 250ml) – Great for two.
9 cups (produces up to around 375ml) – Ideal for a group.
Made in Italy, the Moka Express has a patented safety valve which is inspectable and easy to clean.
Directions for use:
- Fill the lower chamber with water just below the valve.
- Insert the funnel and fill it with coffee ground for Moka (slightly coarser than espresso). Remove any coffee grounds on the edge of the funnel.
- Tightly screw the upper part of the pot on to the base. Avoid using the handle for leverage.
- Select burner size to fit bottom of pot. For gas stovetop, make sure the flame is not larger than bottom of pot. The flame should not come around the sides of the pot and if the heat is too high, it may over extract and result in burnt flavours.
- Place pot on the stovetop until the water boils and coffee begins to come out of the center post. There will be a gurgling sound during this process.
- When the top of the pot is full of coffee, remove from stove. Hazel brown foam appears just seconds before the coffee is completely done.
- Before pouring coffee, stir it in the upper chamber with a small spoon to equalize all the different coffee layers for optimum flavour.
Cleaning: wash by hand with warm water and do not reassemble the product until all parts are completely dry to avoid oxidation. Do not use soap or detergent and do not place in dishwasher.